What is the Educational Computing Network of Ontario (ECNO)?
ECNO is a not-for-profit technology cooperative incorporated to promote practices and provide cost-effective IT solutions to its members. All 72 district school boards in the province of Ontario are members of ECNO. Member boards are provided with a wide variety of IT products and services through collective negotiations, forums for information sharing and networking and a vehicle for communications with other organizations and government agencies.
ECNO provides a variety of roles and services on behalf of its member boards including:
- Providing leadership in setting direction for IT in education
- Being a supplier and enabler of the most cost effective IT solutions and services for its members
- Ensuring that ECNO owned products meet the needs of the user community
- Ensuring that ECNO owned products meet current technology standards
- Facilitating the pooling/sharing of resources in order to enable member boards to access appropriate solutions and services through ECNO’s purchasing policies and procedures
- Liaising with other stakeholders in educational information technology
- Ensuring the adoption of open technology standards
- Acting as a clearinghouse for solutions developed by its members and other stakeholders
- Continuing to seek out innovative solutions and new partnerships