Built Upon a Record of Success
The ECNO program was first implemented as a joint initiative of the Ontario Ministry of Education and Training and the ECNO member School Boards. Through this partnership, ECNO and Ontario Ministry of Education and Training developed and managed a significant suite of software assets, and built a strong and successful co-operative Information Technology program involving all 72 Ontario School Boards. In 1996, prompted by a decision by the Ministry to reduce funding of the ECNO program, ECNO decided to re-group. With a renewed vote of confidence from the membership, the cooperative secured control of all software assets, and began to reestablish and expand on the services, previously provided by the Ministry, through new strategic alliances and partnerships with the Private Sector.
After a competitive proposal process, the contract to provide technical support services to ECNO was awarded to SRB International, an Ontario based firm, with experience in providing administrative software and services to education. As a direct result of this partnership, all essential ECNO products and services were transitioned to the new ECNO Corporation, with virtually no interruption of service to the members. A new, strong and viable support organization was established. And, in the end, the costs for maintaining the ECNO products and services were reduced by over 66 percent.
As one of the most successful co-operative ventures in the history of Education in Ontario, ECNO is truly greater than the sum of its parts.
The Foundation is in Place
ECNO has forged a dynamic Public and Private Sector Partnership and has established innovative strategies upon which School Boards can build Information Technology services which are both responsive and accountable. Membership in ECNO offers to School Boards, unique opportunities for redirecting resources to the classroom, setting new standards for excellence in education, and taking advantage of all that technology has to offer. ECNO can
- Simplify the process of managing and delivering information and information technologies to both the Board Office and the Classroom.
- Provide solutions for integrating new technologies, such as the Internet and Web-enabled components, into the administrative and teaching process based on a choice of data management environments.
- Provide a comprehensive, cost-effective suite of School Board Administrative software applications, backed by a responsive, single-source support organization for training, implementation, help-desk and software maintenance services.
- Provide a unified voice for issues related to technology in education.
- Provide School Boards with lower costs for products, services and maintenance.
ECNO is a tried-and-true partnership of educators, administrators and private Information Technology resources. ECNO’s commitment to the ideals of co-operative enterprise, to enabling equitable access to products and services for all Board members, to developing and delivering systems and standards which are responsive to the needs of education professionals, and to maintaining the economic viability of its programs, will ensure that the co-operative will flourish and continue to grow. The continued success of the ECNO program, with its strong member support, will ensure that ECNO can continue to provide the IT voice for education in Ontario.
Charting a New Course in the Sea of Information Technology
ECNO has implemented a new and broadened mandate. ECNO intends to expand on its reputation for success, and on the solid foundation of its membership, to assist Ontario School Boards to usher in the new millennium and to advance into the Information Age…
The Choice is Clear
ECNO has the Experience, with over 20 years
- in servicing school board IT needs
- in partnering with major IT vendors
- in co-operation with the Ontario Ministry of Education and Training
ECNO has the Strength, the largest single supplier of School Board Administrative Systems in Ontario
- 100% of all Ontario district school boards are ECNO members
- over 85,000 school board employees are paid using ECNO’s payroll system
- over $5 Billion of school board finances are managed using ECNO’s finance system
ECNO has the Products and Services, applications/software suites encompassing all major areas of School Board administration
- all applications developed by and for School Boards
- all applications compliant with statutory requirements
ECNO has the Direction, a revitalized organization with a new mandate
- New IT Standards
- An emphasis on Delivery of Services to the Classroom
- The Voice for Educational IT in Ontario
ECNO extends an Open Invitation, all district school boards can benefit from ECNO membership
- cooperative information technology purchasing programs
- comprehensive and cost effective products and services
- large user community of expertise, knowledge and experience