Data Privacy Week Jan 23 to 27, 2023
Manage your privacy and security settings on mobile devices!
Here are some tips:
- Limit personal information stored on devices.
- Use strong passwords and automatic lock features to prevent unauthorized access to mobile devices.
- Avoid public Wi-Fi hotspots for transactions that involve personal or financial information. Use a VPN or cellular data instead.
- Only download apps from authorized sites.
- Check permissions during the installation of an app. Understand what information the app can access on your device.
- Frequently check your “locations” settings to understand which apps are tracking you.
“To share or not to share – that is the question”
Planning and being on vacation doing lots of fun activities can be exciting. However, wait until you return home to post any photos or videos. Announcing your trip on social media before leaving or while on vacation signals to thieves that you will not be home.
“TMI – Too much information”
It’s important to understand what type of information can be shared online. it’s okay to share your name, location and age with close friends. However, never post your address, full date of birth or geolocation publicly.
Protecting your reputation
Anything you post online or in a text message becomes part of your online identity. Here are some tips to help protect your reputation online:
- The internet never forgets. Nothing is temporary. It’s important to remember this when chatting and posting online.
- Check your privacy settings often and ensure your profile is set to Private. This will ensure no one outside your profile can see your posts.
- Never post inappropriate or private pictures.
- Never respond to inappropriate requests.
- If something is bothering you, go offline, think about how you want to approach the situation and talk to a trusted adult.
Tips for protecting your personal information when downloading and using mobile apps
NeedHelpNow.ca – Helping teens stop the spread of sexual pictures or videos and providing support
Share with Care – Protecting yourself and your online reputation