Identity Management Day April 12, 2023
Gaming safely online
Online gaming with friends can be so much fun! However, cyber criminals are using games to find ways to steal players’ personal information. Here are some tips to game safely online:
- Do not use your own name, age, photo or any personally identifiable information for your avatar
- Patch online games with the latest software updates and ensure anti-virus and anti-malware software is up-to-date
- Choose games that are rated age appropriate – after all, the rating is there to protect you
- Use a password (or a passphrase) to protect your accounts
- Only use reputable sites to download games
What is the Metaverse?
The metaverse is an online world – much like the real world – where people can interact as digital characters in 3D using a virtual reality headset. Apps can be downloaded for playing games, chatting or hanging out. It sounds fun and it is. But beware of dangers in the metaverse.
Dangers of the Metaverse and how to protect yourself
People aren’t always who they say they are. An avatar can be anyone. Adults may pose as teens and lure you into private areas showing you graphic, inappropriate content. Approach others online with caution.
The metaverse is not moderated. It is up to the user to report uncomfortable or inappropriate content, which might include cyberbullying, racism and sexual harassment. Learn how to report such activity. Talk to a parent or a trusted adult about what to do if you get into an inappropriate or uncomfortable situation.
Tips for Parents
- The metaverse is not intended for children under the age of 13 and there are no filters in place for age appropriate content.
- VR applications and devices have limited parental controls. Take the time to learn about parental controls on VR/AR devices and application privacy controls.
- Access to the metaverse requires a VR/AR device and therefore there is no visibility – meaning others cannot see what is happening and cannot intervene to help. Encourage open dialogue and conversations about what is happening in the metaverse.